Santiago Martínez Lage
Santiago Martínez Lage is president of Martínez Lage, Allendesalazar & Brokelmann, the law firm he founded in 1985 and for which he served as managing partner until September 2017. Since its inception, this practice has led the field in Spain in the area of European Union (EU) and Competition Law.
As a member of the Spanish diplomatic service from 1972 to 1983, he served as Head of the Legal Department for the Secretary of State for Relations with the European Communities during membership negotiations for Spain (1980-83).
He has devoted most of his professional career as a lawyer to the practice of EU law and competition law, before both Spanish and EU institutions, and his work has contributed to the adoption of key judicial rulings, particularly in matters of free movement of goods and Member State liability. He founded the “Gaceta Jurídica de la Unión Europea y de la Competencia” (“EU and Competition Law Gazette”), the main Spanish publication on this subject, and served as its editor for over twenty-eight years. He has appeared and lectured at countless conferences in the most prestigious forums in Europe and America, from the European University Institute in Florence to Fordham University and the New York School of Law. He has published over two hundred papers on these subjects in Spanish, English and French. Professional directories refer to him as “the father of antitrust law in Spain” (Chambers, 2017), the latter of which has also elevated him to the category of Senior Statesman -making him the only lawyer in his field in Spain to receive such a distinction.
Over the past twenty years, he has been dedicating more of his time to alternative dispute resolution, particularly in arbitration proceedings. He was elected by its members to serve as Chairman of the Negotiating Table for Compensatory Remuneration of Intellectual Property Rights for the use of private copies (1993-1995), and he was also appointed by the Ministry of Culture to serve as a member of the Comisión Arbitral y Mediadora de la Propiedad Intelectual (“Arbitration and Mediation Commission for Intellectual Property”) from 1989 to 1999. He currently serves as president of the Appeals Committee for ARCO_Lisbon, an international art fair, having served in the same capacity for ARCO_Madrid. As sole arbitrator, co-arbitrator and president of the arbitral tribunal, he has intervened in many national and international arbitration proceedings administered by a number of Spanish courts and by the Court of the International Chamber of Commerce of Paris, as well as in ad hoc arbitration proceedings. He is a member of the Committee for the Designation of Arbitrators to the Spanish Court of Arbitration and is a member of the Board of Directors of the Spanish Arbitration Club.
In 2013 he was honoured by ESADE Alumni with the Aptissimi Professional Career Award, and, in 2014, he was bestowed a Liber Amicorum by some thirty renowned jurists and economists.
- Professional Affiliations
- Vice-President of the Asociación Española para el Estudio del Derecho Europeo (‘Spanish Association for the Study of European Law’, AEDEUR)
- Corresponding member of the Real Academia de Jurisprudencia y Legislación (‘Royal Academy of Jurisprudence and Legislation’) and Vice-President of its EU Law division
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Círculo de Empresarios (2005-2010)
- Secretary General of the Federación Internacional de Derecho Europeo (‘International Federation of European Law’, FIDE) from 1988 to 1990 and of its 14th Congress (Madrid, 1990) and Reporter General for its 24th Congress (Madrid, 2010)
- Arbitrator of the Comisión Arbitral de Propiedad Intelectual (‘Intellectual Property Arbitration Commission’), appointed by the Minister of Culture, from 1989 to 1999
- President of the Mesa de Negociación para la Remuneración Compensatoria de la Copia Privada (‘Negotiation Table for Compensatory Intellectual Property Remuneration’) (as elected by members) from 1993 to 1995
- Member of the Concurrences international council
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of the UAE (Union d’Avocats Européens)
- Member of the Club Español de Arbitraje (‘Spanish Arbitration Club’)
- Member of the Arbitrators Appointment Committee at the Corte Española de Arbitraje
- Publications - Selection of Articles
- Arbitration and EU competition law: new rulings and new thoughts. Spain Arbitration Review – Revista del Club Español del Arbitraje 25/2016 (2016)
- Ley de Defensa de la Competencia: aspectos judiciales. Otrosí, No. 1 / Part 4. (2009).
- In memoriam: El profesor Díez de Velasco, iuseuropeísta. Gaceta Jurídica de la Unión Europea y de la Competencia No. 12 (2009).
- The Liability of the Spanish State for Breach Of EC Law: The Landmark Ruling of the Spanish Tribunal Supremo in the Canalsatélite Digital Case. European Law Review Vol. 29 No. 4, p. 530-545. Martínez Lage, S. & Brokelmann, H. (August 2004).
- Professions and Competition in Spain: A Long and Winding Road. The Relationship Between Competition Law and (Liberal) Professions. European University Institute Florence; Ehlermann/Atanasiu eds. Martínez Lage, S. & Allendesalazar, R. (2004).
- La responsabilidad Patrimonial del Estado y el Derecho Comunitario Europe. Escritura Pública (‘Official Document’) Vol. 24. (November-December 2003).
- Le Secret Professionnel en Espagne: la Décision du Tribunal de Défense de la Concurrence du 23 Juillet 2002. Journal UAE , p. 9-12. Martínez Lage, S. (November-December 2004).
- Publications - Selection of books
- “Arbitraje y Derecho de la competencia”. Veinticinco años de Arbitraje en España. Libro conmemorativo de la Corte Civil y Mercantil de Arbitraje, CIMA, 2015, pp. 289-296.
- Proceedings of the FIDE XXIV Congress Madrid 2010, Vol. 4 Chapter General Report on Topic 2 ‘The Judicial Application of European Competition Law’, Universidad Complutense Faculty of Law Press. Martínez Lage, S. and Allendesalazar R. (2010).
- El Derecho de la Competencia en tiempos de crisis. Fundación Rafael del Pino-Marcial Pons. Co-edited with Petitbò, A. (2010).
- Los acuerdos horizontales entre empresas. Fundación Rafael del Pino-Marcial Pons. Co-edited with Petitbò, A. (2009).
- Martínez Lage, S. (2008). Remedios y Sanciones en el Derecho de la Competencia. Fundación Rafael del Pino-Marcial Pons. Co-edited with Petitbò, A. (2008).
- Mélanges en hommage à George Vandersanden. Promenades au sein du droit européen. Chapter: ‘Pursuing market integration through the application of EC competition rules. A critical perspective’. Bruylant, Brussels. pp. 593-612. Martínez Lage, S. and Martínez-Lage, P. (2008).
- Una reflexión sobre la política de defensa de la competencia, Chapter: ‘Las decisiones pactadas pueden hacer más eficaz el Derecho de la Competencia’. Libro Marrón, Círculo de Empresarios. (2008).
- Tratado de Tributación Medioambiental – Volume II Chapter: ‘La posible implantación de un impuesto ecológico en la Unión Europea’ Iberdola – Thomson Aranzadi. Edited by Fernando Becker, Luis María Cazorla and Julían Martínez-Simancas. (2008).
- El Derecho de la Competencia y los Jueces. Fundación Rafael del Pino-Marcial Pons. Co-edited with Petitbò, (2007).
- Les Entreprises face au nouveau droit des pratiques anticoncurrentielles: Le règlement nº 1/2003 modifie-t-il les stratégies contentieuses? Chapter: ‘Choisir la voie procédurale la plus adéquate: autorité nationale de concurrence ou juge de droit commun? La situation en Espagne’. Bruylant, Brussels. Edited by Laurence Idot and Catherine Prieto. (2006).
- Community Policy on Discriminatory Pricing: A practitioner’s perspective. European University Institute Florence; Ehlermann/Atanasiu eds. Martínez Lage, S. and Allendesalazar R. (2006).
- Regularización, Desregularización, Liberalización y Competencia. Chapter: ‘Desregularización y Competencia – El libro blanco sobre el sector eléctrico’. Fundación Rafael del Pino-Marcial Pons. (2006).(2006).